Sidewalks & Ramps
1404 Mabury Rd.
San Jose, CA 95133
Phone: (408) 794-1901
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Keeping sidewalks and streets free of obstructions to allow free use of the public right-of-way is everybody's responsibility.
Notification of Obstruction
- We will notify property owners of their responsibility to remove obstructions from the public right-of-way adjacent their property.
- In the case of emergency or imminent danger, we will have articles removed from the right-of-way and charge the adjacent property owner for the associated costs.
For information about the ordinance on the property owner’s responsibility to remove items from the public right-of-way can be found in the City’s municipal code (Section 13.24).
When making sidewalk repairs, property owners must obtain a sidewalk repair permit prior to starting any work to ensure that the repairs meet the city’s construction standards for sidewalk work.
Sidewalk permits are enclosed or attached to notifications mailed to property owners when the property owner is requested to complete sidewalk repairs.
Property owners will receive an invoice for the cost of the sidewalk permit after the sidewalk repair work has been finalized and accepted by the city. Sidewalk permit fees are as follows:
- Concrete sidewalk removed and replaced:
- A property owner has the work completed or authorizes the city to complete the work for them - $100
- In the event that the work is not completed within the allotted time, an additional $20 non-compliance fee will be applied to the permit cost
- Concrete sidewalk grinds:
- The property owner has the work completed - $0
- The city has the work completed for the property owner - $20
Do not make a payment of permit fees or repair costs until you have received an invoice from the city.