Signs & Striping Section
1404 Mabury Rd.
San Jose, CA 95133
Phone: (408) 794-1900
Monday - Friday
7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
To report a missing or damaged sign or faded roadway striping or marking, please email email@example.com. Include your name and contact information as well as a location and description of the issue.
- Intended to instruct road users on what they must or should do (or not do) under a given set of circumstances.
- The term regulatory sign describes a range of signs that are used to indicate or reinforce traffic laws, regulations or requirements. Which would apply either at all times or at specified times or places upon a street or highway.
- The disregard of these signs may constitute a violation.
- Types of traffic signs that indicate a hazard ahead on the road that may not be readily apparent to a driver.
- Warning signs are black on a yellow background and usually diamond-shaped.
- They usually contain a symbol and often contain text.
- Many middle and junior high schools have high visibility neon green signs to improve pedestrian safety.
Traffic Guide Signs
- Located on the side of roads to provide information to road users.
- With traffic volumes increasing over the years, guide signs have been simplified and standardized to facilitate and enhance traffic safety.
- Most streets have a street name signs at each intersection to indicate the name of the roads.
- Street striping makes up the lanes and direction of travel
- Lane lines generally consist of yellow stripes, which show the separation of traffic flows or white stripes which shows the separation of traffic flows in the same direction
- We have approximately 2,432,338 square feet of white striping and yellow striping
- Markings are used to show:
- Lane drops
- Approach warnings
- Bike lanes
- Stop or yield lines
We have a variety of curb markings:
- Red for no parking
- Green for timed parking
- Yellow for freight loading
- White for passenger loading
- Blue for handicap
Raised Pavement Marker
- Safety device used on our city roads.
- These devices are usually made with plastic or ceramic and come in a variety of shapes and colors.
- Many include reflectors to make them more visible.