Street Sweeping Section
1404 Mabury Rd.
San Jose, CA 95133
Phone: (408) 794-1920
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
We sweep all of our streets at least one time per month to:
- Remove fine metal particles that are left on roadways by vehicles.
- Reduce debris in local waterways.
- Remove small collections of litter and debris that can build up in gutters.
- Residential streets are swept once each month by a contractor, Green Waste Recovery.
- They are swept on the same day of the month each month (e.g., first Monday, second Thursday, etc.).
- Property owners can help the efficiency and effectiveness of street sweepers by moving parked cars from the street on the scheduled sweep day and by maintaining the clearance on street trees to 14 feet above the street.
Downtown Area Sweeps
- Central Business District (CBD)
- Neighborhood Business District (NBD)
- Major arterial and commercial streets and bike routes (ACB)
Sweeping on these high-traffic streets occurs two to four times per month, between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
We try to minimize impacts on traffic, businesses, residents, and visitors.
Prohibitive Parking Signs
We use prohibitive/no parking signs on streets where sweeping efforts are greatly impacted by parked vehicles.
- Vehicles parked in areas that have been posted for no parking during sweeping times will be issued a parking citation.
- Vehicles parked in areas posted as tow zones will be towed away and issued citations.
- Do not park in a restricted parking area at any time within the posted hours even if a sweeper has already made a pass.
- Sweepers may make multiple passes to ensure an effective sweep.
Installation and use of parking signs are limited:
- Due to the high cost to install
- High cost of enforcement signs
- Difficulty of implementing revised sweeping schedules