Department of Transportation
200 E. Santa Clara St.
San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 535-3850
Fax: (408) 292-6092
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
We own, operate, and maintain 62,000+ streetlights. We were one of the first cities nationally to install smart, energy-efficient, streetlights. This innovative lighting plan is achieved by replacing the yellow sodium vapor lights with white light emitting diode (LED) lights, and an adaptive control system to provide energy efficient lighting.
- Enable us to monitor energy consumption and allow us to dim lighting levels during late evenings.
- Reducing street light energy costs by 40% to 60%.
- Improving lighting quality and visibility and enhance street safety.
- Ongoing maintenance savings by extending maintenance cycle for bulb replacement.
- Real-time reporting of energy usage for energy billing and communicating non-operating streetlights for improved
- Eliminating the use of hazardous materials contained in sodium vapor lamps.
- Preserving the night sky in late evenings for astronomical research by Lick Observatory.