Traffic Safety Section
200 E. Santa Clara St.
San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 535-3850
Fax: (408) 292-6092
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
In an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 and keep the public and our staff safe, City offices are closed until further notice and select City services have been suspended. The programs/services described on this page are suspended until further notice. Thank you for your understanding.
Our Department of Transportation (DOT) crews continue to provide essential services such as storm drain and sewer maintenance. Help them stay safe and focused on critical needs by keeping wipes, fats, oils, and grease out of the sewer system.
Please call DOT Dispatch at (408) 794-1900 to report any roadway hazards such as: sewer back-ups, storm flooding, missing/damaged traffic signs, malfunctioning traffic signals, and broken tree limbs.
We are one of the safest cities in the nation relative to traffic safety. Crashes involving injuries on our streets have steadily dropped over the years in part due to a variety of engineering, education and enforcement services.
We provides the safe and efficient movement of pedestrians, bicyclists, and vehicles by:
- Optimizing traffic flow.
- Installing traffic improvements.
- Delivering traffic safety education to school children and seniors.
- Providing parking compliance services in school and other safety zones.
- Coordinating traffic enforcement needs with the Police Department.
- Reviewing development plans for any needed safety improvements.
Services performed to enhance traffic safety include:
- Pedestrian Safety – crosswalk studies and bus stop investigations.
- Schools – review of traffic and parking needs in school zones, and crossing guard studies.
- Disabled Parking – review of requests for on-street disabled parking spaces.
- Intersection/Driveway Safety – stop sign studies and review of visibility concerns.
- Speed Surveys – state mandated engineering surveys to support speed limits.
- Traffic Impact Review – review of private development plans and capital project plans to determine safety issues.
To request traffic engineering services, please email Traffic.Safety@sanjoseca.gov, or call 408-535-3850.
Traffic & Parking Enforcement
Our Traffic Enforcement Unit (TEU) helps:
- Reinforce good driving, biking, and walking behaviors.
- Encourages residents, neighborhood groups, and schools to request traffic enforcement through its online request form.
- Provide specific information regarding concerns.
We provides support to schools and neighborhoods to encourage compliance with local and state parking regulations.
Specific areas of focus include:
- School zones
- No parking/stopping zones
- Disabled parking spaces
- Curb ramps
If you would like to make a service request, please call (408) 277-8900.
What is Traffic Calming?
Our way of managing traffic so that its negative impacts on residents, pedestrians, and schools are minimized:
- Traffic and parking enforcement services.
- Educating school children and neighborhood groups about safety.
- Installing various engineering devices, such as a crosswalk to enhance visibility of pedestrians or traffic islands to slow traffic movements.
Traffic Calming Toolkit
- The traffic calming toolkit serves as a guidebook for residents and community leaders.
- The toolkit describes various traffic calming measures, including their intended application, pros and cons, and approximate costs.
- The toolkit also includes information about Council Policy 5-6, Traffic Calming Policy for Residential Neighborhoods.
Traffic Safety Education
Have you ever had a close call while in a car or crossing the street? Most of us have, and that’s why we created the Street Smarts Traffic Safety Education Program to address driver, pedestrian, and bicyclist behavior.
- Is a nationally-recognized program that has been working with schools, neighborhoods, seniors, and other communities to improve safety on our streets.
- The current focus is on helping school children learn how to be safer pedestrians and cyclists, and educating seniors on how to make smarter and safer choices while on the road.
Download our traffic safety tips.
Explore the Street Smarts website and discover all the programs and resources available.
To request a Traffic Safety Education presentation at a elementary or middle school or senior citizen centers, contact email@example.com or call (408) 975-3238.