San José Environmental Services (ESD) is an award-winning department. Recent awards include:
Climate Smart San José
- LEED for Cities Platinum certification for the City of San José from the U.S. Green Building Council, recognizing sustainability efforts including Climate Smart San José and the City’s aggressive zero waste goals.
- Sustainability Innovation Award for the City of San José and Chief Sustainability Officer of the Year for ESD Director Kerrie Romanow from Oracle, recognizing sustainability programs including Climate Smart San José.
- Bloomberg American Cities Challenge winner, providing resources and support valued up to $2.5 million to support the implementation of Climate Smart San José.
- Award for collaborative and multi-faceted approach for preventing pollution in San Francisco Bay from the SF Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board.
- Outstanding Environmental Project Award from the State of the San Francisco Estuary Committee recognizing work to remove trash from creeks.
Sustainability and Compliance
- Received a two-year grant from the City Energy Project to reduce energy consumption in large buildings.
Integrated Waste Management
- Governor's Environmental and Economic Leadership Award (GEELA) for the Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund’s ReThink Disposable Program, of which ESD is a partner.
- National Community Improvement Award for Litter Prevention from Keep America Beautiful for efforts to curb illegal dumping.
- Pride of San José Award for the Illegal Dumping Mitigation and Response Team.
- Outstanding Business Leadership Award to San Jose Earthquakes, with help from ESD, from the National Recycling Coalition for the greening of Avaya Stadium.
- Outstanding Practices in Venue/Event Resource Recovery Award from the California Resource Recovery Association for the San Jose State University Move Out event.
San José-Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility
- Project of the Year Award from the Silicon Valley Chapter of the American Public Works Association for the Emergency Diesel Generators project, part of a 10-year, $1.4 billion Capital Improvement Program at the wastewater facility.
- Utility of the Future Today Recognition Program award for exceptional performance and for demonstrating success in innovative and sustainable utility management practices by national partnership of national water sector organizations. The award is given to just 61 utilities in the U.S., Canada, and Denmark.
- Achievement Award for Organizational Excellence for the Capital Improvement Program from California Association of Sanitation Agencies.
- National Environmental Planning Award for the Plant Master Plan from the American Planning Association.
- Award of Merit for Innovation in Green Community Planning for the Plant Master Plan from the American Planning Association of Northern California.
- One EPIC (Excellence in Public Information Communications) award for ESD's Behind the Flush video from the California Association of Public Information Officers
- Two Distinction Awards for ESD’s internal staff newsletter and the San Jose Earthquakes soccer league marketing campaign from the California Association of Public Information Officers
- Best Outreach Campaign Focused on Non-English Speaking Groups Award from CalRecycle for the San Jose Earthquakes campaign