Garbage & Recycling Collection
Look up your garbage or recycling collection company with the Residential Services Lookup.
All garbage and recyclables are collected by automated trucks that lift heavy carts with mechanical arms or lifters. When the trucks are full, drivers take garbage and recyclables to a materials recovery facility for sorting, and yard trimmings to a composting facility.
Watch what happens to your recycling in San José
Hours of Operation
Collection for all material occurs between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., Monday - Friday, once per week.
Collection occurs on all holidays except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. If these holidays occur Monday through Friday, collection will be one day later throughout the rest of that week.
If your garbage, recycling or yard trimmings are not picked up by 6 p.m., contact your hauler.
If you set out your garbage and recycling carts after collection, the materials will be picked up on your next collection day. Learn how to handle extra garbage and recyclables.
Curbside Setout Guidelines
- Set out all carts no later than 6 a.m. on your collection day, and no earlier than the day before.
- Place carts side-by-side in the street, 2’ apart and with wheels against the curb.
- Do not overfill carts; lids must be completely closed to prevent spillage and litter.
- Keep all carts 5’ away from anything that may block the collection truck, including yard trimmings piles, parked cars, and basketball hoops.
- If your carts are lost, stolen or damaged, contact your hauler.
Yard Trimmings (Carts and Loose in the Street Piles)
- Set out yard trimmings no later than 6 a.m. on your collection day, and no earlier than the day before.
- If your yard trimmings cart is full, place extra yard trimmings loose in the street.
- Loose in the street yard trimming piles should be no more than 5’ by 5’, 1’out from the curb, and at least 5’ from other piles, carts or parked cars.
- You will be notified of alternate collection methods if loose collection is not possible on your street (because of bike lanes, red curbs, etc.).
Used Motor Oil & Filters
- Oil filter bags and oil jugs should go on the curb next to carts and piles.
- Contact your recycling collection company to order oil filter bags and oil jugs.
Weight limits are set by the City of San José Municipal Code. Drivers cannot pick up containers that are over the weight limits.
Maximum Weight Limits
|Extra garbage bag||60|
San José Environmental Services continues to provide essential services to residents including garbage and recycling collection in response to COVID-19. For the safety of drivers picking up your recyclables, please fit all recyclable items, including cardboard, in your recycling cart or save any extra for next week's collection.
In San José, collection of recyclables is unlimited.
- Set out extra recyclables in paper bags or clear plastic bags on the curb near the recycling cart.
- Use bags to secure loose material prone to blowing or scattering such as shredded office paper, packing peanuts, and plastic bags. Tie bags securely and do not overfill paper bags containing extra recyclables. Place all bags on the curb near the carts to prevent accidental spills.
- Flatten and cut cardboard so it fits loosely inside your cart.
- If you have more cardboard than your cart will hold, flatten and cut it into pieces no larger than 4’ by 4’ and lean them against the cart.
Place extra garbage in a 32-gallon plastic garbage bag labeled with an extra garbage sticker on the curb near the garbage cart.
Extra garbage stickers may be purchased for $6.25 at all San José libraries, Lucky, and Safeway stores or at the Customer Service Center on the first floor of San José City Hall. A portion of the sales from stickers sold at San José libraries supports library programs. Cash, check, and credit card are accepted at all locations (libraries are cash/check only).
If you frequently have extra garbage, you may need to order a larger garbage cart.