Updates on City of San José Services and/or Operations . (English | Español | Tiếng Việt | 中文)

Potable Water from Public Hydrants

Water from public hydrants can be used for construction by using a temporary hydrant meter. To get a temporary hydrant meter, you must:

  • Apply for an Ordinance Exception and get it approved,
  • Schedule an appointment with San José Municipal Water System (SJMWS) office, and
  • Pay the deposit fee.

Ordinance Exception

Before you make an appointment to pick up a hydrant meter, you must obtain an approved Ordinance Exception from Public Works. Complete the Ordinance Exception Application Form and submit it in person to the City of San José Public Works Department located on the 5th floor of San José City Hall.

A permit fee will be charged for the Ordinance Exception. For the latest permit fee schedule, check the City of San José Public Works Permit Fees.

Bring the approved Ordinance Exception with you when you pick up the hydrant meter.

Schedule an Appointment to Pick Up the Meter

Pick up appointments are required. Hydrant meter services for temporary construction are provided on the following days:

Monday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Fill out the Hydrant Meter Pickup form and select a date that works for you. We will contact you via phone to confirm your appointment.

Hydrant pickup is available at SJMWS office located at 3025 Tuers Rd, San Jose CA 95121.

Pay the Deposit

A deposit of $800 is required for a hydrant meter at the time of pickup. Payments can be made by check or credit card. Checks should be made payable to “City of San José”.