San José encourages all businesses to save water. Please follow these rules as they apply to your business:
- Be cool – water when it’s coolest. Outdoor watering hours are restricted to before 10 a.m. and after 8 p.m. when using a sprinkler system. Sprinklers cannot run more than 15 minutes per station. The mandatory water day schedule is no longer in effect as of March 28, 2017.
- Be a sweeper – sweep hard surfaces
- Be in control – don't let water flow into gutters.
- Be quick – find and fix leaks as soon as possible. If notified of a leak in your system, fix it within 5 working days. Find out how to detect water leaks and fix them.
- Be precise – provide customers with water only upon request.
- Be efficient – use low-flow spray valves when washing dishes by hand. Hand-held spraying fixtures for dishwashing must be fitted with low-flow spray valves that automatically shut off.
- Be selective – make daily towel and linen service optional. Hotels must offer guests the option to help save water by having fresh towel and linen service only upon request.
- Be a recycler – car washes must use recycling equipment, a bucket and hand-washing, or a hose with shut-off nozzle.
- Be water smart – help save drinking water. Be sure to choose another source of water if available for construction or building purposes.
- Be resourceful – use recycled water for approved commercial uses including irrigation, cooling towers, and construction activities. For more information visit South Bay Water Recycling.
More Tips to Preserve Our Drinking Water
There are lots of ways to save water. Find more water saving tips.
To Report Water Waste
Report water waste in Santa Clara County to the Santa Clara Valley Water District: