The Plant Master Plan and EIR Certification was adopted by the San José City Council on November 19, 2013.
The Plant Master Plan will help to rebuild the San José-Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility as a world-class wastewater facility that will benefit you, your family, and the community.
In November 2007, the Environmental Services Department (ESD) embarked on a three-year process to develop alternatives for the Master Plan, using extensive input from the community, stakeholders, agencies and experts. In April 2011, the San José and Santa Clara city councils approved staff to move forward with the environmental review process for the recommended alternative plan. The project technical memoranda (see below) developed during the Plant Master Plan process provides details of the Master Plan projects.
The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requires an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) to provide full evaluation of the plan and determine whether there are any potential impacts to the environment that should be addressed. The Draft EIR for the Plant Master Plan was available for public comment for the CEQA-mandated 45-day period, plus 15 additional days; and ended on March 13, 2013. The First Amendment of the Draft EIR, including the response to comments on the Draft EIR, was published on October 18, 2013. All publicly released documents related to the EIR are available in the Planning Department's EIR Library.
The Draft Report on the Plant Master Plan provides details of the Preferred Alternative Plan, and the modified land use component is available on page 18 of the Planning Commission memo on October 17, 2013.
In October 2013, the Planning Commission, the Transportation and Environment Committee, and the Treatment Plant Advisory Committee recommended to adopt the Plant Master Plan. The Planning Commission also certified the EIR.
Plant Master Plan Project Memos
- PM1.1 - Vision, Goals & Objectives
- PM2.1 - Description of Existing Facilities PM2.1 - Description of Existing Facilities
- PM2.2 - Summary of Previous Reports PM2.2 - Summary of Previous Reports
- PM3.1 - Historic Wastewater Flows PM3.1 - Historic Wastewater Flows
- PM3.2 - Historical Wastewater & Receiving Water Characteristics PM3.2 - Historical Wastewater & Receiving Water Characteristics
- PM3.3 - Existing Treatment Plant Performance PM3.3 - Existing Treatment Plant Performance
- PM3.4 - Master Plan Design & Standby Criteria PM3.4 - Master Plan Design & Standby Criteria
- PM3.5 - Capacity of Existing Facilities PM3.5 - Capacity of Existing Facilities
- PM3.6 - Historic & Projected Population PM3.6 - Historic & Projected Population
- PM3.7 - Historic & Projected Recycled Water Flows PM3.7 - Historic & Projected Recycled Water Flows
- PM3.8 - Projected Wastewater Flows & Characteristics PM3.8 - Projected Wastewater Flows & Characteristics
- PM4.1 - Existing Regulatory Requirements PM4.1 - Existing Regulatory Requirements
- PM4.3 - Regulatory Scenarios PM4.3 - Regulatory Scenarios
- PM4.4 - Existing Asset Management PM4.4 - Existing Asset Management
- PM4.5 - Prioritization of Costs & Repairs PM4.5 - Prioritization of Costs & Repairs
- PM4.8 - Scalping Plant Assessment PM4.8 - Scalping Plant Assessment
- PM4.9 - Stormwater Diversion PM4.9 - Stormwater Diversion
- PM4.10A - Urine Separation PM4.10A - Urine Separation
- PM4.10B - Food Waste Separation PM4.10B - Food Waste Separation
- PM4.10C - Water Conservation PM4.10C - Water Conservation
- PM5.1 - Liquids Treatment - Alternatives PM5.1 - Liquids Treatment - Alternatives
- PM5.2 - Solids Treatment - Alternatives PM5.2 - Solids Treatment - Alternatives
- PM5.3 - Energy Evaluation - Alternatives PM5.3 - Energy Evaluation - Alternatives
- PM5.4 - Projected Sea-Level Rise PM5.4 - Projected Sea-Level Rise
- PM5.5 - Odor Evaluations PM5.5 - Odor Evaluations
- PM5.6 - Technical Inputs to Land Use PM5.6 - Technical Inputs to Land Use
- PM5.7 - Existing Site Conditions PM5.7 - Existing Site Conditions
- PM5.8 - Site Opportunities & Constraints PM5.8 - Site Opportunities & Constraints
- PM5.9 - Conceptual Site Alternatives PM5.9 - Conceptual Site Alternatives
- PM5.10 - Land Use Alternatives PM5.10 - Land Use Alternatives
- PM5.11 - Support Facilities PM5.11 - Support Facilities
- PM6.1 - CIP Implementation PM6.1 - CIP Implementation
- PM6.2 - Basis of Costs PM6.2 - Basis of Costs